Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Inevitable Letdown

So when you write something, you get into it.  You live it and breath it, no matter how long or short the piece.  You become a part of it, and it becomes a part of you.  This lives on to an extent through the editing process. 

I am finding that when I hit Publish, though, that there is a letdown.  I would liken it Post-Partum Depression, but I've never felt that, so I can't relate.  Sure, there's a weight lifted from your shoulders, that particular monkey is off of your back.  But then, its like there is something missing at that point.  Some void that was filled by that particular work.  Then comes the agitation.  You feel like you could have done more.  Could have edited better.  Could have added more, or maybe taken out more.  There is a sense of incompleteness.  You aren't done.  But you are.  You hit Publish.  Its done.  Its out there, now deal with the consequences.

I have felt this the last two times.  I'm guessing I'm going to feel it with the 3rd and 4th and on into infinity.  But I also know myself.  If I give in to those inner voices, I'll just keep editing and adding until the day I die.  I've done it before.  I worked on a novel for over 10 years and got absolutely nowhere with it because I refused to move on, refused to push through to the end.  Its all about nerves, because with writing, you're putting yourself out there.  People are either going to love or hate what you've written, which in turn means that they are going to love or hate you, because that work, on some level, IS you.

Of course, it could all be because I hate the promotion process.  I really need to hire someone to do that eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment